Originally Posted by Orville
Hi new to the forum and have a new bushmaster ORC carbine with Telestock. Has anyone here shot a deer with a 55 grain Vmax? I was going to take a deer this year and wondered if these would work. My bushmaster shoots them pretty good about 2 inches at 100 meters. It does not shoot other heavier bullets as well. I have a Buris E1 3x9x40 in a buris pepper mount on it. Is this a good choice?

20+ years ago I shot two deer with varmint bullets (100gr .25 cal Nosler BT). The first one went between the ribs, and the deer went maybe 20 feet & dropped. The 2nd one dead centered a rib, and while it damaged the heart, the bullet cartwheeled around in the deer and exited out the bottom of the belly. Had I not seen it I wouldn't have believed it. The critter died, but there was almost no blood trail and wasn't easy to find. So I'll pass on varmint bullets on deer. Nosler has since made the 100gr tougher, and I can see why!

After seeing so many reports of success I gave the AR a try on a spike. The 65gr Sierra out-shot the Nosler 60gr Partition in the Daniel Defense, so they got the nod.

[Linked Image]

I found the jacket & core separated, and stuck together in the offside hide.

[Linked Image]

It worked okay, and the deer only went ~30 yards but there was no exit, or blood trail. So I think I'd get something a little heavier/tougher.

Midway has these 55gr TTSX's on sale, and in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...n-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-50#reviewHead

I grabbed a couple hundred of them, just to have on hand, the next time I get an urge to shoot a deer with a .223.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."