Your '06 is sufficient for all big game in Alaska. within reasonable range- say 500 yards. Or more if you are capable of it. Either sell it and get the 300 Mag, or skip the .300 and jump to a .375. (what I would do, as there isn't that much difference between the .300 and the '06 for all practical purposes within 500 yards, Or do what I have done over the years - just buy one of most everything...... smile

I really gotta get me a Winchester 70 in .375 - never had either..... kill 2 birds, etc. That said, once I get back to the Kenai and get my lathe set up, my current-use '98 '06 is probably going to be converted to .300 mag. Never had one of that caliber either... my sole reason to do it.

I have several '06s, a .338, as well as a .243, .260, .30-30, and have had several other calibers over the years. Ain't no damned difference with a properly placed bullet sufficient to the task. The .243 has taken a moose , several each of caribou, sheep, and black bears. The .260 has taken several caribou, an elk, and a wolf. My first moose (20 some ago) was taken with a .30-30. I'm hoping to take a moose with the .260, maybe next year - this year I'll be using the '98 '06 again, as I have for the last three years, taking 9 caribou and one moose. I'm using it for caribou also again this year. The two moose prior to last year's were taken with a 17 inch bbl RU77 '06 (not it's first) and a RU77 .338Mag (also not its first), respectively. For that matter, that 12 Ga slug did a fine job on a moose as well...

As I said - no diff - just what I happen to be preferring, or have available at the time... If you have an '06, anything else is really "want", not need.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, he says.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.