Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Stick1330
I truly appreciate all the info. It just shows first hand one of the big reasons that I want out of California and into Alaska, the people. It's good to know that there are still quality human beings out there who care people other than themselves and understand things like community as well as basic respect and responsibility.

Stick,

Those folks still exist in plenty of places in Cali. I know them and I'm even related to some blush.

You may be more likely to run into them in AK as the percent of them in the total population there might be higher.

If you live in a city in CA you may just find that if you plan to live in a city in AK you may not be getting away from a lot of what you're trying to get away from. I can speak to that in regards to Juneau at least. I lived on the "outskirts" of that city and was glad I did.

Perhaps some of the other AK members here can speak to conditions in some off the larger cities in the state.

I had friends/acquaintances that grew up in Juneau and if their situations had allowed they would have moved, as their nice "community" had changed over the years. I've lived in a bunch of places in the lower 48 that have experienced similar "growing pains". Still, Juneau is a WHOLE lot nicer than San Diego where I grew up.

Good luck in your new adventure, whenever you get to wherever you're goin'.

Geno

As I've said before, Alaska is a land of extremes and that goes for the people as well as the land.

You'll meet some of the finest people in the world, and some of the worst. Living remote is no guarantee to be around quality people, there are some really demented alcohol rattled in bread end of the roaders in small communities. There are also wonderful people in every corner of the state. Same goes with Anchorage or any of the other larger population centers.

Moving to Alaska is no panacea for escaping the ills of the world. No way I'd move back to the lower 48, but with an 18 year perspective I'd say it's what you make of it and what you bring to the table.

Well said 458 Lott!