Originally Posted by Stick1330
I truly appreciate all the info. It just shows first hand one of the big reasons that I want out of California and into Alaska, the people. It's good to know that there are still quality human beings out there who care people other than themselves and understand things like community as well as basic respect and responsibility.

Stick,

Those folks still exist in plenty of places in Cali. I know them and I'm even related to some blush.

You may be more likely to run into them in AK as the percent of them in the total population there might be higher.

If you live in a city in CA you may just find that if you plan to live in a city in AK you may not be getting away from a lot of what you're trying to get away from. I can speak to that in regards to Juneau at least. I lived on the "outskirts" of that city and was glad I did.

Perhaps some of the other AK members here can speak to conditions in some off the larger cities in the state.

I had friends/acquaintances that grew up in Juneau and if their situations had allowed they would have moved, as their nice "community" had changed over the years. I've lived in a bunch of places in the lower 48 that have experienced similar "growing pains". Still, Juneau is a WHOLE lot nicer than San Diego where I grew up.

Good luck in your new adventure, whenever you get to wherever you're goin'.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?