Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 338 is a fantastic medium bore.

I really like mine. It's a Ruger 77 MK-II, but I replaced the stock and trigger when I bought it in the early '90s. back then I paid $250.00 for a new Leupold vary-X III 2.5-8x scope, and have hunted moose with it each season. It does very well with 250-grain NOS and Swift A-Frame, but I have settled on the 225-grain TTSX (very accurate with this bullet). Have killed moose with NOS, the old 230-grain FS, the A-Frame above, and 225-grain TSX, but not with the TTSX since I started using it this year.

Have been looking at the Ruger Hawkeye Safari version, except that I don't like wood stocks. The rifle is just about right in length and weight, but if I buy it a friend of mine will re-finished with a layer of CeraCoat, and I will replace the stock with a synthetic one.

I have seen a couple of the Africans here locally. You can get a Ultimate Shadow and make some mods on it like, get rid of the lame stock and cut the barrel down to 24 inches. 338s are great. Even a 340 wby or 338 can be housed comfortably in a 24" gun. I'd like to put togeather another 340 in a 24" M70. I absolutely prefer a 338 win mag or 340 over a 300 When choosing a medium bore, especially if a someone already owns a 308 or 30-06.