To continue the saga, there have been several developments of note though I'm not certain I know what they mean. Perhaps a small data set skews the perception? I'll stick with that for the moment anyway.

Day 3.5 at the range with the chronograph and all information gleaned at the 50 yard butt, data presented in order of burn rate.

Bullseye has been ditched, something I anticipated. Of course I just HAD to try it.
Avg. Group with two samples was 2.25", no velocity info available.

800X is interesting. It burns so clean it is near stupid. Did you clean after shooting Dan? No, I shot a few rounds of Dupont 800X and the barrel is spotless. Groups have ranged from tiny to ridiculous, the latter no doubt the result of gently pulling the bullets on 5 cases to verify charge weight after an excursion with the Ohaus 505. Though there was no apparent deformation of the bullets in that process, the target said otherwise. 2.5" is no laughing matter, no sir.

The range of charges shot to date is from 4.0 to 4.4 grains. The first two increments averaged in the 920 fps range with ES values of 33 and 28 in order. Groups were fair. The next step of 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 grains all fell in the 950 fps range with ES values of 13.2 to 15.2 with exception of today's effort which was a repeat of the 4.2 load for 10 shots. Average velocity was 949 with an ES of 9. One group of 5 was .95". What baffles me a bit is the significant increase of velocity between 4.1 and 4.2 grains, followed by an apparent plateau where it levels out. But then, I love a mystery...

WW540 has been a player since this started, contributing several groups suggesting promise for the future. Average groups for 5 strings of 5 are 1.29". Velocity increases have been consistent in a linear fashion averaging 10-15 fps increase for each .1 grain of charge increase. The first iteration had an average of 820 fps with ES of 30. The last was 4.8 grains which averaged 886 fps with ES of 15.

Took a spin with WW571 today, a single string of 5 shots. It grouped at 1.38", average velocity of 961 fps and ES of 39. I doubt it has much future in this undertaking.

2400 has been disappointing and after today will no longer be in the race. Velocities have been erratic to say the least, groups averaging 1.25". IMR4227 has given similar results though the ES values should be enshrined in the Ripley Museum.

Hodgdon Li'l Gun requires further investigation. A single 5 shot string today yielded a .68" group with average velocity of 977 fps and an ES of 28.

Lastly, IMR4759 has potential, though there are some curious results on the table. Group Average has been in the 1.25" range with minor flashes of brilliance. Velocity increases averaged 12 fps per .1 grain from 5.8-6.2 grains, then inexplicably jumped to 25 fps per tenth at the next increment of 6.4 grains. Average velocity at that level was 846 fps with ES of 19, the first time that value has been reasonable. Prior excursions have ranged to as high as 70 fps. It burns clean, when it burns, but leaves significant unburned quantity in the barrel. I am hopeful that at higher velocity/pressure that will abate.

This has been an interesting project to me and I'm not disappointed with any of the results. Truth is that any load put together to date and applied at the ranges I engage hogs at would be perfectly adequate in terms of velocity and precision. That said, I will continue to explore and find out what I can, cull the rats and then move to the 100 yard line.

There are several things on the table that may not be perfectly obvious to the average shooter and they ultimately carry a bit of weight on what the final load looks like.

-conventional lube really isn't an option, so I use a variation of the dry wax lube theory, mostly to avoid the joy of cleaning a lot of lube from the suppressor. Speaking of that, it had its first run a few days back and with 800X at around 950 fps, it sounds about like a suppressed .22 LR SV.

-unburned powder residue is not optional for use with the suppressor. Not long ago I had the pleasure (?) of hearing a secondary ignition in a suppressor as a result of accumulated unburned powder in the baffle stack. I don't know it hurts much on a now and again basis, nor do I know that it doesn't. It does sound a bit odd nonetheless.

-Without much forethought this project came together around the bullet. I think it's not a bad approach, even if atypical. Should I pursue something of this sort again, the bullet will be the first focus of my attention and all the rest built around that...again. Difference it that next time it will be done intentionally.

-With over 100 rounds fired to date I have not experienced the first trace of leading. The cases are easy to form. The common request when having hardware crafted to support such a project is for one to provide fired cases or a reamer sketch. Well, I get that, but would very much like to see a simpler path to modifying straight wall cases such as done with the Sneezer. The reamer sketch theory worked well enough here, no complaints at all, but my lay perspective is that there is a void in the world of dies. Why not a simple series of dies that allow for a selected shoulder angle and neck diameter reduction? It isn't rocket science.

-I may get to the original goal of 1050 fps, or not. Doesn't really matter that much. While I don't know what the minimum requirement for swine abuse is from a velocity perspective it is well established that 710 fps will drive a 29 grain CB Short bullet completely thru a hog's skull. I am well beyond that metric insofar as velocity, momentum and sectional density is concerned. One of the minor points of annoyance is that to date I have not been able to find a bullet in the soft sand common to berms at local ranges. I think my arm is long enough, but that has yet to be proven.

-I will take it to the point of achieving the goal of consistent sub MOA precision before I call it good.

That is all for now,

Dan

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain