Well, this epic adventure seems to be on course, meeting expectations while administering education aplenty.

Just finished day 4 at the range and an epic adventure it was. Short version is that I have a load, still looking at another possible load and am moving to the 100 yard butt next time around.

A long winded breakdown on what I've found to date, all distances at 50 yards, groups of 5 shots each:

Bullseye was a bust from the first round, delivering average groups of 1.88" for 2 loads.

WW540 served up a couple of sub 1" groups in the 800 fps range (4-4.2 gr) but began shooting patterns with stronger loads. Average group size for the range of groups 1.88", highest velocity was 886 fps avg. ES of 30 on average.

2400 averaged groups of 1.52" for the series, 4.5-6.1 gr in .2 increments. Best groups around 1.15" w/5.7 gr and 859 fps. Average ES was 44 fps.

IMR4227 was a bust. Average groups of 2.0" and ES avg of 68 over the range of 6-6.4 grains and highest velocity of 756 fps. I suspect it would do better with greater charges but I've plenty of functional options to keep me otherwise occupied.

SR4759 is a tease and the one powder I will work with some more aside from the Rock Star. It has presented groups in the 1.1" range in the last two loadings and with an average velocity of ~850 fps. ES numbers are horrid, averaging 50 over the series. Most recently the amount of unburned kernels observed in the bore have diminished greatly as the loads increase and the ES numbers are declining. The last load was the first to fall into the 20s for ES, this with a load density of 70%. Charges have ranged from 5.8-6.8 gr in .2 increments.

WW571......sort of a fizzle. Did its best work with the first charge of 5.5 grains, and ES of 37 and velocity of 961 fps. Downhill from there it was.

Li'l Gun is the Rock Star of this parade. Though I only started working with it during the last two range sessions it has averaged .64" for three groups, ES of 26 and high average velocity of 1038 fps. Can't hardly not like that! Charges have ranged from 6-6.4 gr in .2 increments.

Dupont 800X looked to be the star of this show and in fact could still find use after I use up 10# or so of Li'l Gun. Average of 9 groups was 1.65". Average ES was superior at 21 and the burn was very clean, that being something of note when using a suppressor. Alas, it went a little haywire today and as it crashed thru the 1,000 fps barrier is leaded the bore badly and that is the second time it has done so. That said, .12" groupage at around 950 fps is nothing to sneeze at and it will be a fall back in times of need. Average of 3 groups with 4.2 gr was .95".

This is what 800X did to the bore at the 1000 fps threshold...and tossed in a 3" group for giggles.
[Linked Image]

And this is what happened to one of my pretty bullets when it collided with a wall of dirt.

[Linked Image]

Did I tell you I like Li'l Gun?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain