I'm thinking that the bulk of load experiments are concluded for the most part. Day 5 at the range today was another learning experience, not only for what happened, but what did not happen.

Was a clear coolish day by Florida standards. Light frost this morning and it had warmed to the mid 30s by the time I hit the line. Unusually calm of a change, very sunny. Took along the accouterments which included a second chance for IMR4227 and SR4759, including the use of mag primers in a couple of strings. Also did a little change up with the Li'l Gun loads in that I did not size the bullets prior to loading. They cast at .310" and I'd been sizing to .309", but a sage out west suggested I try not sizing, so there you have it. 2 strings of 5 for the Lil Gun, one with the case unsized prior to loading, the other neck sized per previous practice.

2 Loads of SR4759 of the same charge, one w/standard SRP (WW SRP), the other with mag primers (CCI450). 4 loads of IMR4227 in an attempt to rathchet up velocity, with intent to find more consistent ES numbers as well as precision and cleaner burn for both powders. I was successful in both departments.

Mixed results were my reward. The ES number were reduced, but not by use of mag primers. Increasing powder charge did that and I actually had a drop in velocity with the SR4759 using the mag primers. It increased slightly with the 4227, but it was a very small single digit increment, not statistically significant in my book.

In order of firing:

Li'l Gun
[Linked Image]

SR4759
[Linked Image]

IMR4227
[Linked Image]

These groups are a little bit larger than the previous that I've posted. It was either because I was shivering or maybe because it was on the 100 yard line, who knows? I was parked beside a fellow shooting a full race 6mm PPC and he beat me fair and square. That said, the journey is not quite over, but I'm confident that the pigs are scared. Will be changing sights and do additional load workup on a more leisurely schedule down the road. Li'l Gun for now, zero with the muffler and hit the woods.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain