Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Valsdad
At work last week sometime (no pot of gold, but I earned some ducats at least):

[Linked Image]

A nicely restored old county courthouse, still in use. Sure glad the county had money to do it instead of a "modern" replacement:

[Linked Image]

Geno

Geno

Restorations like that should be on a comparison budget. Especially since its taxpayers money...

I'm sitting next to one.... supposed to be 3.7 mil, the bill with parking lot and change orders will be over 5 mil. They won't tell the public that.

For 2.5 mil give or take we coudl have demo, rebuilt to look the same and been a safer more efficient structure... I have issues with preserving things just because they are old. If its private money, I have no care in the world.

Points well taken,

Don't know the history of the restoration, probably was underway when I got here in '09 or so.

Our county has a grand total of 2660 or so follks, maybe the funding or part of it came from the "taxpayers" of the USA as the Courthouse is on the National Register of Historic places.

Seems so, a look online gives some info:

"Restoration

A two-year, two-million dollar restoration project was completed in 2011. The work was supported through a one-million dollar matching grant from the Department of Archaeology & Historic Preservation’s Historic County Courthouse Rehabilitation Grant Program. The project, which was designed to structurally stabilize the building while preserving key architectural elements, saw the restaoration of existing windows and the addition of ADA-compliant features. The work also included the removal of earlier renovations deemed to be not in keeping with the building's historic character including the removal of drop ceilings in the courtroom and the re-opening of the courtroom gallery that had been closed off for use as a storage space.[5] The facelift was one of two winners of the Valerie Sivinski Award for Outstanding Achievement in Historic Preservation Rehabilitation Projects in 2012.[6]"

(above quote from wikipedia, my bold)

I'm not against replacing things on the face of it, or keeping them either "just because". But to replace a beautiful building like that with something that fits in a strip mall would be a shame.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?