Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by mudhen
[Linked Image]

mudhen where is that canyon ,, looks interesting.

norm

Norm, it's near Glenwood, New Mexico. It's called Catwalk Canyon. Back in the days when gold and silver mining were going strong, they built a mill down near Glenwood and ran a pipeline down the canyon to deliver water to the mill. The pipeline was suspended and needed a lot maintenance, and the guys who did the maintenance referred to it as the "catwalk." It was abandoned early in the 20th century.

During the depression, the CCC guys constructed a trail that followed the Catwalk in what had become the Gila National Forest. The Forest Service rebuilt the trail in the 1970s and made major improvements again 10 years or so ago. Those pictures were taken not long after the most recent renovation when I took my daughter and her kids up for a day hike.

Several years ago, two large wildfires merged into a mega-fire called the Whitewater/Baldy Fire and burned off much of the forest above Catwalk
canyon. Year before last, a series of torrential monsoon rains sent another flood of silt and debris down the canyon and destroyed much of the newly renovated trail. It is now closed until the Forest Service decides whether it has the money and the resources to rebuild it again.

More info here: http://www.americantrails.org/nationalrecreationtrails/trailNRT/Catwalk-NM.html

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...