Originally Posted by TheKid
This is precisely why I have only done one float trip in all the time I've been up here.
We don't raft anything where I'm from and every time I've been in a raft I've felt completely out of control and helpless. Not that a person who knows what they're doing isn't in control, but I don't know what I'm doing. Water is cold and drowny and I don't care to be in it.

TheKid;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I've read the thread through now and felt that you deserved a sincere tip of the hat for knowing your personal limitations and not tempting fate in order to prove something.

Like you, I find water "cold and drowny" and while I don't mind canoeing on still, small water I'm always wearing a good PFD. As I told a cousin of mine once, "I ride a rough horse better than a smooth boat any day" wink

Our eldest daughter is a wee bit of an adventuresome soul and one year she talked our family into going whitewater rafting on the Clearwater here in BC.

We do have a pretty regulated system up here as to who can guide, etc and there was an excellent guide in every boat who first clearly communicated what was going to happen and what we had to do when told to.

It was only a couple hours too - so no surprises with changing water levels.

All that taken into account, I'd fully agree with your assessment of feeling completely out of control.

We didn't lose anyone out of our raft, but another raft actually had a chap bounce out - he was okay but a tad shaken up when they fished him out.

Anyway my heart goes out to the families of the folks who died for sure.

If it's all the same though, I'll just hike in and out anymore....

All the best to you folks this summer sir and thanks again for the honest post.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/06/16.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"