Originally Posted by Mikewriter
The main limitation, as I see it, is that the .44 mag is NOT a long range cartridge, even in a rifle. Making hits at 200 - 300 yards (or more) would involve a heck of a lot of "Kentucky Windage", and the bullet would not have a lot of energy at those ranges. The .44 mag is a wonderful "close range" round, which as a pistol round, is what it was designed for. I shoot sub sonic loads with 335gr Hard Cast, ,and they are both accurate and deadly - out to about 75 yards. Full power loads, because of the limits of the cartridge and the blunt bullets, don't add a whole lot to that. Years ago, I used to hit 2 liter plastic "Coke" bottles at 75 yards with an open sighted Contender 10" barrel .44 mag fairly well - that is sorta "long range" for a .44 mag to me.

RJM set a target up on a ridge behind my cabin. It was a roughly 3'x3' piece of plywood, wired to T posts.

It was a lasered 780 yards from the porch. I watched as RJM repeatedly hit it with his .41 mag. At 780 yards the slugs went clean through and still had enough energy to bury themselves in the very hard, dry hillside.

Just for kicks, I gave it a go with my Glock 21, .45ACP. Wind was an issue, but I managed to drop one into (and right through) the target, with that first magazine.

A few things I noted from that exercise:

* Heavier projectiles were easier to spot, as they kicked up more dust.

* Having a light crimp, while not very noticeable in closer range accuracy, makes a huge difference for consistent long range accuracy. RJM had noted some variances in my loads/impacts, and suggested a Lee crimp die, with a heavy roll crimp. I took his sage advice and it made a world of difference. Now I apply the same heavier crimp to even the meager .38 Special, and it has made a significant difference.

* Shooting double action (due to requiring a more consistent grip) would often produce more consistent groups at extended ranges.

In re-reading some of Elmer's stuff, as well as McGivern's,a crimp was discussed,and it was noted that a heavy crimp was important.

McGivern used to actually load handloads (or have his assistants do so) at exhibition shoots, so as he noted the "Doubting Thomas" types could see that there were no tricks.

Speaking of McGivern, since it was noted previously in the thread that Keith's shooting was "taken with a grain of salt", here is a pic from an original copy of "Fast and Fancy Revolver shooting.":

This is a pic of a 500 yard man sized target hit 4 out of 6 times by a shooter from Montana, using a Smith .357 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

The punchline is that:

* Revolvers/handguns are FAR more capable than most have any idea about.

Handgun projectiles driven at even moderate velocities will kill/penetrate FAR better than people tend to believe or "know".

Last but not least is that you don't want RJM shooting at you, even at nearly 800 yards, with one of his .41s. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com