Originally Posted by Mikewriter
The main limitation, as I see it, is that the .44 mag is NOT a long range cartridge, even in a rifle. Making hits at 200 - 300 yards (or more) would involve a heck of a lot of "Kentucky Windage", and the bullet would not have a lot of energy at those ranges. The .44 mag is a wonderful "close range" round, which as a pistol round, is what it was designed for. I shoot sub sonic loads with 335gr Hard Cast, ,and they are both accurate and deadly - out to about 75 yards. Full power loads, because of the limits of the cartridge and the blunt bullets, don't add a whole lot to that. Years ago, I used to hit 2 liter plastic "Coke" bottles at 75 yards with an open sighted Contender 10" barrel .44 mag fairly well - that is sorta "long range" for a .44 mag to me.

Most people underestimate what a good sixgun is capable of. I won't recomend using one for long range big game hunting. Bt if have a good sixgun, work up a good load, and practice at extended ranges, you'd be suprised how accurate the gun can be. If 1 1/2 moa for 3 shots is considered hunting rifle accuracy, a good sixgun is capable of such accuracy. One does need to learn about bullet drop, but once you learn wear to hold, hitting targets at extended range can be achieved repeatedly. The nice thing about the 44 is it kicks up enough dust to let you know where your misses land.