Originally Posted by Mikewriter
The main limitation, as I see it, is that the .44 mag is NOT a long range cartridge, even in a rifle. Making hits at 200 - 300 yards (or more) would involve a heck of a lot of "Kentucky Windage", and the bullet would not have a lot of energy at those ranges. The .44 mag is a wonderful "close range" round, which as a pistol round, is what it was designed for. I shoot sub sonic loads with 335gr Hard Cast, ,and they are both accurate and deadly - out to about 75 yards. Full power loads, because of the limits of the cartridge and the blunt bullets, don't add a whole lot to that. Years ago, I used to hit 2 liter plastic "Coke" bottles at 75 yards with an open sighted Contender 10" barrel .44 mag fairly well - that is sorta "long range" for a .44 mag to me.

Mike,

I am taking by what you have posted that you have not done much longer range shooting with big bore handguns. Longer range in this case being 100,200,3,4,500 yards.

The statement that "the bullet would not have a lot of energy at those ranges" was a pretty good indicator of lack of practical experience.

That is ok and I am not trying to make fun of you or be impolite.

44 mag and 45 colt projectiles driven at typical velocities will penetrate one hell of a lot deeper than you would think.quite frankly, 200 yard shots require no "Kentucky windage" at all, just knowing the right amount of front sight to raise over the traditional sight picture.

I was just watching RJM make pretty consistent hits at double that distance last week, with his 4" gun. 200 yards is just a matter of practice.

Now with that said, you don't have to take a single word I have to say about the subject as gospel. Long before I was born, Elmer Keith was shooting his big bore sixguns at long distances and taking note of the deep penetration of the heavy projectiles. As I recall in one of his books he talked about shooting up an old cabin and the projectiles went clean through the cabin walls.

Ed Mcgivern was another early long range shooter that documented much of his work. The punch line is that a 44 or 45 driven at
moderate speeds will kill stuff dead as a doornail at long ranges.

The real issue is having the skills to precisely place the projectiles where they need to go. Like anything else, those skills can be acquired by methodical handloading and diligent practice.

Long range shooting is a hoot. I don't do it often enough and I don't shoot at animals at extended distances beyond my ability.

Rocks and steel targets are what I normally have my sights lined up on.

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com