Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Mackay, no, I haven't tried shooting a .44 mag handgun at over 100 yards, much less 500. No need to do so. I also don't shoot my rifles much over 200 - not many places in my area with that much open space, in my defense. I do shoot a lot of .44 mag loads at under 100, though. I am very much aware of the killing power of a big, slow bullet - like a 335 gr hard cast .44 mag launched at under 1100fps. At the same time, such a bullet drops very quickly past 75 yards or so. It has too, physics won't let it not drop. I have a Ruger .44 mag carbine, and would not expect to do long range shooting in any serious manner with it, also. If just shooting for the fun of it, I suppose I can see the appeal, and the challenge. We just don't have open prairies and lot of hills and rocks here on the Texas Coast.

I am aware of Elmer Keith's contributions to the sport, but have always taken some of his feats with a grain of salt. The long range mule deer kill does make me wonder if the bullet would retain enough energy to shoot through both sides of the deer at that range, and this is from "researching" ballistics tables.

I love to shoot all sorts of handguns, have several .44 mags, from a SBH to Contenders, to a Contender with a suppressor and shoulder stock used strictly with subsonic rounds for hunting. I like the .44 mag round VERY much, but other than "target" shooting, would not try to use it for a job that a .270 or .300 mag rifle would be better suited for.

Just my opinion, ya'll can keep launching long range .44's, and I probably would, also, given the right terrain and some free time.

I'm guessing you're from Texas?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house