Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Bump this up for an entertaining read

Thanks.

Right after the Model 629 was introduced, I latched on to one of the first 4" guns to arrive in Oklahoma. When deer season came, I dumped a little whitetail doe with it at just shy of 150 yards. The bullet entered one shoulder and exited through the other flank.

But I didn't just get a wild hair and pop a cap at a deer on the far side of a pasture. I had shot that revolver all summer with 10 grains of Unique under a machine-cast 240-grain BB SWC. I had also been on the Oklahoma National Guard pistol team for a couple of years by then. They had issued me a match-tuned 1911, a 7.5" S&W M-41, plus all the ammo I could carry, and I was putting in overtime trying to wear them out. I had put a lot of small game on the table with the M-41, which I'm pretty sure is still the only target pistol in the OKARNG inventory with holster wear.

I wouldn't try a shot like that today, but I had moved through my Elmer Keith phase and was late in my Ed McGivern phase so I was pretty sure it could be done.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.