Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
Mackay/ RJM,

In a pic above, one of you is holding a blue 5" S&W N frame with a fiber optic front sight. I've always heard and believed that such a sight would be difficult for use in long range shooting. Please share your experience. How did that work?

Edited to add:

Also, RJM, you mention that you were shooting a 255 gr WFNGC. Again and again I have read that the WFN profile isn't stable at long distance. That evidently is not your experience. At what velocity are you pushing those? If you loaded them down, do you think they would remain stable?

In regards to the F.O. front sight. Yes, they are less than ideal for long range. That was simply the sight I had on the M29 that day. It has an interchangeable front sight, so swapping is easy. The preferred setup is a tall sight with horizontal bars. RJM has an ideal one of one of his Freedom Arms guns. I took one of my spare S&W blades and filed notches in it, then added orange paint, to approximate the same effect.

It is not pretty aesthetically but it works. When I find a pic, I will post it.

Where the fiber optic works great is shooting quickly, and in failing light, as well as snow. It really seems to gather what remaining light there is and draws your eye to it. I really like them for general purposes, but not for the long range game.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com