I have both. If I were to have only one, it would be the 30-06.
Marketers will dazzle you with the numbers at every opportunity. Their job is to sell things.
The truth is more simple. A 30-06 will drive a 180 grain bullet at around 2800 FPS.. Most 300s will drive the same bullet at about 3050 to 3100 FPS.

But if we look at the down range velocity and see where the 300 magnum's bullet is at at about 2800, we see it is at about 125 to 140 yards.

So it's perfectly safe to say a 300 is the same as a 30-06 with with an added 125 yards of "range".

For that extra 125 of range you give up 2 rounds in the mag, and you add 2" or 4" to the barrel, and you increase the recoil about 30% as well as paying more per round to practice.

So those are the facts without any loyalty or "religious devotion" to either.

If the gain of an extra 125 yards is worth it to you, you need not apologize to anyone for your choice.

If the shorter rifle with 2 more rounds in it, with better bore life, that is cheaper to fire is more to your liking, buy it.

You need not apologize to anyone for your choice if it's the 06 either.

I have never had a problem killing elk with my 270s or a 30-06, or my 308, or my 8MM Mauser, or my 300 or my 375H&H.

I Love my 300s too. However I would have been about as happy with a 30-06 in every case I have shot anything with the 300s

The longest kill I ever made on an elk was with a 270.

It's really more about (a) your marksmanship and (B) what type of bullet you shoot.

What rifle you shoot it from is in about "15th place" in importance, judging from my experience. (43 years of elk hunting and guiding hunters)

You summed it up yourself as well as it can be said.
I want something a little bigger.

Get what you want. You'll be happiest that way.

Last edited by szihn; 01/27/17.