Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
George, I agree.

Bob did have a way of cutting to the chase, and he knew of what he spoke.

I would take my .300 WM elk hunting instead of my .30-06, just because.

The .300 is set up with the glass (Victory 2.5-10) that I like. The '06 would do the job, as you say, with the right bullet.

If you have a .300 Mag, why not use it? Basically it would depend on the individual gun, how well you shot it, the glass it was wearing, the mood you were in at the time. etc., etc...

Dead elk either way if you do your part. And, I probably wouldn't shoot one much over 300 yds. I'm not an 800 yd. hunter, have no desire to become one.

DF
Sweet sounds like good recipe. 300 gives you a liftle more range and a bigger punch. Might make the difference in some circumstances.

This .300 WM is a good recipe, special at least to me. It's an Ed Brown Damara with Ed's proprietary coating, Shilen match grade barrel with brake. Ed claimed his light weight magnums were more accurate with a brake, thus all magnum Damaras have brakes. It comes with a Jewell trigger and Ed's stock made for him by McM, very similar to the Hunter's Edge. It has a 3.6" full mag box, throated to use the extra COAL which gives a bit more powder space in the case.

This gun is very light, very accurate and very pleasant to shoot. The Zeiss Victory 2.5-10 is just lagniappe, as the Cajuns say. Ed's proprietary 704 action combines CRF with a M-700 type round bolt. Legendary Arms Works took it on after Ed discontinued his rifle line. LAW is offering the 704 in a less expensive package. They've had some issues, hopefully they'll get them worked out and produce quality on par with what Ed turned out.

This would be my first choice for an upcoming elk hunt. I'd look at 200 gr. NPT's, although I've killed elk with 180 gr. NPT's, grave yard dead. Why the 200 gr.? Just 'cause...

Then there's the 165 or 168 TTSX at 3,250 fps... Hunting buds, father and son, love the 168 TTSX in their .300 RUM and .30-378 Wby. That's a bit faster but I've seen what that bullet can do.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
what barrel length to get 3250 ft/s

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.