Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by spyderman
I appreciate the replies. The 270 I have is a pump, and about fifty years old. I'd prefer a bolt action. I'm leaning toward the 30-06. If I ever have occasion for something bigger than that, I'll upgrade to a 338.

Now we are making a bit of progress.

I too would prefer a bolt action and that would prompt me to consider a new rifle if I were in your boots.

If I was considering a new bolt action rifle for elk hunting I personally would get it in the best cartridge for elk hunting.

The 7mm Rem Mag offers slight but real world advantages over both the 30-06 and .300 Win Mag.

Spending a bit of time researching the 7mm Rem Mag might pay dividends in your elk rifle purchasing scheme.

......Spyderman......+1.....Burns is correct.....

I for one love the 30 caliber. Owned a 300 Win Wby Vanguard for many many years before selling it and switching over to a different more compact rifle format chambered in the 300 WSM which I have now.

The best way to compare one cartridge vs others is by playing around with a downrange ballistics calculator. Hornady has one on their site.

Type in all the info for each choice; desired bullet weights, the bullet BCs, est MVs, your scope's desired zero in yards, etc. Write down all the results and then compare the downrange velocities retained, downrange ft lbs in energy retained and the trajectory drops at the various distances.

300 yards or less (300 Win vs 30-06), there is little gain imo with a 300 Win where killing power on elk is concerned.

Like Burns, I also suggest that you include the 7mm Rem Mag as a choice for elk. When you compare the downrange #s of the 30-06 vs the 300 Win vs the 7mm Rem Mag in comparable bullet weights, brands and designs, give or take a few grains, you will be surprised in all depts as to how well the 7 Rem compares. Flatter shooting, better velocity retention, greater energy retention, and the 7mm bullets have less bearing surface thereby reducing wind drift.

Those are the slight dividends and slight advantages Burns was referring to.

There are many less powerful cartridges than either the 30-06, 300 Win, or the 7 Rem that will easily topple elk at 300 yards and less.

Although there will be differences of opinion on this, my personal rule of thumb for elk, is to have at least 1500 to 1800 ft lbs of downrange energy at impact. If your max hunting distance is 300 yards, then the '06 and 300 Win will both give you that and then some.

That leaves trajectory and wind drift, where slight advantages goes to the 7mm.

I have a '015 Ram truck that I bought new. Could have gotten by with the 6 cyl. Chose the Hemi. The 6 could have taken me anywhere the Hemi can. The Hemi with my added HP add ons, is far more fun and exciting to drive.

Back in 2011, I could have gotton a new 6 cyl Mustang with about 300 hp. Purchased a new 550 hp GT 500 instead. A 6 cyl Mustang would have also taken me anywhere the GT 500 could. BUT! Guess which is FAR more fun and exciting to drive.

Same holds true imo with cartridges. All depends on the ballistic performance you want.

I prefer more than is needed for any given game and like added recoil too. But,,that's me.

Good luck.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger