I have come to a point in my life that wanting a gun is the best reason of all to make or buy a new gun.

If we try to find a "Need" we only make life to complex and open up ourselves to criticism from folks that have have no iron in the fire, no dog in the fight, but are convinced that their advice is necessary and that if you don't let them tell you exactly how to conduct yourself, you are inferior.

Avoid such folks. Many of them are fools and only seeking validation from influence of others because they have no merit of their own.

Just get a new gun if you want a new gun! Want is the best reason of all.

It's fun, and unless you are shooting to stay alive, or shooting for money, being fun is 100% of the reason to get guns. If you buy the wrong tool and you have failures, it's not much fun. Failure is not fun as a rule. That's called learning life's lessons.

Asking advice is good, but I only offer it if I am asked, and I never get upset if someone doesn't like the advice I give.
I don't care if they fail. Its not my time of my money at risk.

I find it is a better way to live my life. Let others live their lives as they choose.

So to the man asking the question, I say Get a new gun if you want it. Not that you "need' it. Get it because you want it. Use a good bullet and you'll be fine for elk hunting.

I have hunted elk with the following tools in the last 4 decades.

Bamboo/Glass long bow with wood arrows.
44 magnum handguns
454 Casull Handgun
54 cal flintlock
58 Cal Hawken cap-lock
62 cal flintlock.
270 Winchester rifles.
270 WSM rifle.
30-06
300 H&H
338-06
338 Mag
9.3X74R
375H&H

Were any "the best"?
Yup....all of them.

Why?
Because all were just fine.
I truly enjoyed using them all.

Get what you'll enjoy using. Enjoying the hunt is why we do it.

Last edited by szihn; 02/07/17.