Originally Posted by specneeds
Nothing wrong with a 30-06 but if you are buying a new "Elk Rifle" go with the classic elk caliber 300 magnum of your choice. When someone asks me these days I tell them buy a Tikka 300 WSM with a Meopta 3.5-10 scope from Cameralandny or Optics Planet then for less than a grand you have a great elk killer.

If you see the bull of a lifetime across a canyon at 380 yards it is nice to hold on spine and drop it instead of coming home empty handed (likely outcome on first DIY elk hunt). I like the new Weatherby Vanguard or Howa for good shooting rifles that seem to fit and not recoil beyond normal a little heavier but not bad to have on a 300 Win or Weatherby.

I killed a bunch with a 7 mm but like the extra reach and knockdown of the 30 caliber 180 grain TTSX bullet at close to 3200 FPS. Sighted in at 225 yards you just point and shoot out to about 340 yards.

I shot my most recent bull at 346 yards. One shot, 140 Partition, 7mm-08, through and through, DRT.

If you want a magnum, fine, just don't think you need one to kill elk.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001