spyderman, These are the opinons of the author, and may not reflect a general consensus!!! The 30-06 is a fine cartridge. The 300 WM gives you the opportunity to shoot equal weight bullets slightly faster/flatter with more energy. If stepping up to a heavier bullet, you get more energy and penetration (with equal design bullets), with similar trajectories as those of the lighter 30-06 bullets. Do Not discount the .338 WM!!! With rifles of equal weight and stock design, the .338 WM recoil will be equal or slightly less than that of the .300 WM. There's "no substitute for cubic inches"! There are many great bullets out there for the .338, making it a legitament long range contender(I know you stated 300 yrds, but your qualifications may change). IMHO the .338 WM, is perhaps the "best" all around (standard commercial) big game cartridge. My wife's, "unbraked", 8 lb. 10 oz. (scoped, loaded, slung), pushing 225 TTSX's @ 2950 fps(not a tame load) .338 WM, gives similar trajectories as those of the .300 WM. It has been her "only" hunting rifle (for all of the big game available to us) since '95! If you use good shooting practices, you should have "zero" problems adapting to the .338WM (unless you have a shoulder injury, or other physical issue)!! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/28/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024