Curious if the follower spring is walking at the bottom, where it rests. If so, it will not push the follower fully upward, when no more rounds remain in mag box. If that is the case, the follower will be cocked, and will not be supporting the case upward, so that it stays under control of the extractor, as the follower guides the path rearward, into the ejector.

If that is your problem, then, when rounds are in the mag box, likely, that straightens out the position of the follower, to some degree, so the round coming out the chamber is supported, and held under the extractor.

A simple fix to keep the spring from walking at the bottom, where it rests, is to make a positive locating notch, for the spring, with a dab of epoxy. Coat the spring with wax, so it does not glue into place, and use just enough epoxy, to create an imprint of the spring, to hold it into place. You must be willing, and capable, of disassembling the rifle to do so. Some, will take the additional step of replacing the follower, and dress up the mag box fit and bedding, if needed.

Just my opinion, but this is why I consider a Kimber to be a project in a box.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/12/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood