Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by kwg020
I see so many knifes with less than stellar steel.

kwg

We should have a thread on this topic. I have knives with better steel than the 420 HC used in the Gator. A couple of things: first, I use the gutless method on elk. I have not gutted one in 10 years. Contact time with bones is minimal - basically digging around the humerous-pelvis to cut all the tendons/ligaments holding them together, scraping the ribs when taking out the backstrap, separating the front shoulders. Fairly light duty.

Second, in almost 50 years of hunting, I've found 3 knives, all obviously related to gut piles. Nothing expensive but a Case XX, a Buck, and a Queen Steel (I'm from PA, fairly common up there). I still have 2 of the 3. I've never left a knife in the woods - but have laid them down and had to look for them. As pointed out more than 4-5" snow makes finding a dropped knife interesting. All that to say, I'd be pretty pissed if I left a $300 knife in the woods.

My other point, that cheap Gator stays sharp for its intended purpose. I have quartered 2 elk back to back with 1 knife using the gutless method, and is was still sharp enough to do a third. This past year I gutted 3 deer. Still sharp enough to do more.

All that said, the $40 Gators have been sufficient for me. I admire really nice blades but what else could a $300 knife provide?

I would be interested in a folding knife with more colorful handle with better steel and overall lighweight that is sub $100. Examples?

Ontario RAT I

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN