Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by DonFischer
When I lived in Montana I had that knife on top. Was one of my all time favorites. It got better when I took it in and had the blade flat ground. No idea what ever happened to it.

Don, I had a Grohmann / DH Russell #1 Canadian Belt Knife from the 1960's. It was my favorite knife. My father happened to be on a trip through Pictou Nova Scotia and dropped in at the Grohmann factory. He bought the knife in the photo in the fall of 1997 and gave it to me for Christmas that year, not knowing it was already my favorite knife. I gave the old one to a friend, and have taken the bulk of the game I've shot here in Montana with that knife. I think of my dad (who turns 95 next month) every time I use it. I find it an essentially perfect knife for game. I've used other knives including small folders like the Gerber LST, but I always go back to the Grohmann. BTW, they do make it with a flat grind available.

For about 20 years, all I used was a Gerber Gator Mate for everything and a scalpel for caping.
But over the past 4 years I’ve been trying different knives including Grohman #1, LT Wright Small Northern Hunter, Benchmade Altitude, Benchmade Steep Country, North Arms Knives Lynx.

So far the number one for me is Grohman #1 followed by Benchmade Steep Country, and those are the only two I have left. I have a Hogue Extrak coming in the mail that I will try this year.