Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Please.let me know what knife(s) you use for field dressing elk. Pictures appreciated. I'm looking for one knife to carry and not interested in the replaceable blade category. Thanks all!

The top knife was my Dad's when I was a kid. He bought it in '65/'66. I learned field dressing on deer/elk/bear/antelope with that knife. Honestly don't know how many it was used on, or even how many I used it on. DO know I used it on my own first mule deer and elk, and a [bleep] ton more until I graduated high school.

At that point I was gifted a Randall Model 8. When visiting my girlfriend, now my wife, down in Boise my truck was broken into and that knife stolen. I've HATED fV(king Boise with an undying passion since.

Anyway, needing a knife to hunt, I bought the second knife in the picture. It is the last year Buck used their awesome "woodpecker lips hard" 440C. I used that thing for decades on several continents.

Fast forward. Around 12 years ago I asked Gene Ingram to make me a whammer set based on the old school number 7, with a Lite Hunter and a Semi Skinner in S35VN. He did, and that's been my home use knives in Idaho ever since.

I have LOTS of nostalgia for Dad's knife, and a real fondness for my classic 110, and a hollow sense of loss for my Randall...but, all that said...wouldn't go back from the Ingram's today, tomorrow, or Sunday. They are simply a cut (pun) above...[Linked Image]

Attached Images
IMG_0077 copy.jpg (26.93 KB, 478 downloads)
Last edited by Journeyman; 02/02/24.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...