Gene -- As far as modern bolt actions are concerned, if one has a clear superiority over another I have not seen it conclusively demonstrated.<P>The current "pre-64" Winchester M70 handles escaping gas a little better than the real pre-64 by putting a gas baffle behind one of the locking lugs.<P>The Remington M700 vents the gas out the receiver ring. (That's what that little hole in the receiver ring is for.)<P>The Browning and Savage have essentially the same lock up as the M700, although the Browning uses three lugs instead of two.<P>The Ruger directs escaping gas down into the magazine well.<P>I guess that probably the Weatherby Mark V action will handle escaping gas as well as any and better than most.<P>If any of these designs are inherently stronger than the other, I haven't seen that conclusively demonstrated either. Still, a bolt that locks with lugs that are milled from the steel bar rather than brazed on would seem to me to be inherently stronger.<P>On the other hand, I have never heard of, much less seen, a Mauser-type bolt action that failed completely.<P>As an example, a gunsmith buddy of mine who lives in Michigan specializes is converting Mauser 98s into modern sporting rifles. One of the conversions he did was to a 270 Winchester. This particular rifle was inadvertantly dragged through some slush during an elk hunt, and the stuff froze solid in the barrel. When the hunter pulled the trigger nothing much happened that he was aware of, but the bolt was essentially welded shut. My gunsmith friend couldn't get the bolt opened either and had to remove the barrel. Ever seen a belted 270 Winchester case with a head diameter the size of the bolt face? A primer pocket so expanded that you could stick your little finger in it?