I've heard enough on both sides of the customer service issues from Nikon ... I want to say that I've heard more good than bad, but what I have heard about the 'bad' is that if/when they don't feel they need to help you out, you play hell getting them to do what they are supposed to do ...

but I'd be willing to bet that you'll have no issues. I've never had to use Nikon's customer service because I had a scope that needed repair ... but I did almost buy a scope from a guy a while back ... had it in my hands, and saw some things I was not happy with - so before I bought it (or didn't buy it), I called Nikon and asked them about the issues, and how they'd be covered via warranty, if at all ... They were more than pleasurable to speak with, and I got the feeling they were more than willing to do what was necessary to stand behind their warranty, and help make me a satisfied customer.

Of course, I didn't end up buying the scope, but that was more an issue of the guy selling it, than anything to do with Nikon ...

Long story short, I'd be sorely surprised if you didn't get your dust cover post haste ...

-WGM-