There will always be a difference in preference in size of cartridges for certain animals and I'm definately a supporter of use enough gun. Some have valid points for larger calibers while others imply because you can kill something with a small cartridge, you can hunt with it. IMO, the 270 on elk is not one of these. It not only has the horsepower but the bullet weight to take on elk handily. In fact, I've seen many instances of those claiming the fastest they've had an elk go down was with a 270, Craig Boddington being one of them. Now he did try to rationalize why that was with one point being the animal wasn't alerted, but it doesn't change the fact it was still his fastest. A recent Handloader article about the 7 x 57 Mauser had that author recount the same story with the 270 and elk. I've also seen it from quite a few other hunters. Bottom line, the 270 is a dandy of a cartridge that's been around for over 80 years simply because it works. With modern powders and bullets it's only gotten better.