Originally Posted by plumbgod
I know this is going to cause a crap storm but I have always shot a .270 and have killed 10 bulls and 4 cows with it and I use 130gr sierra spitzer boattails.The farthest has been 330 yds,Iam a believer that if you can't close the distance to 300 yds you are not much of a hunter.

Question � why did you shoot at 330 instead of closing to 300? Are you not much of a hunter?

The fact is that it is not always possible to close to �X� yards and sometimes you either have to take the shot as presented or take a pass. Sometimes the reality is that animal movement, the presence or movement of other hunters, the weather, terrain, property boundaries, game management unit boundaries, season dates, season dates, legal shooting hours, time sensitive commitments or other factors prevent the hunter from closing.

To define a hunter�s skills by the range at which he shoots a particular animal makes no sense whatsoever. Some of the easiest hunts I have had involved the closest range shots while some of the elk I worked hardest for involved the longest shots. In my opinion a �hunter� is one that knows where to find game, how to find it and is willing to limit their shots a maximum range dictated by their ability with the firearm in hand. For some people 100 yards is too far, for others 300 yards is a chip shot. I have more respect for the hunter that prepares for the long shot and works hard to close but nevertheless ends up with and takes a 600 yard (or pick your range) shot than I do a hunter that can get close but can�t shoot worth a darn and is generally unprepared to skillfully use the firearm in hand.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.