Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Originally Posted by Pat85
[quote=plumbgod]I know this is going to cause a crap storm but I have always shot a .270 and have killed 10 bulls and 4 cows with it and I use 130gr sierra spitzer boattails.The farthest has been 330 yds,Iam a believer that if you can't close the distance to 300 yds you are not much of a hunter.
If thats the case than I guess its safe to say: If you have to close the distance to 300 yds. your not much of a rifleman.

I'm quite certain its safe to say:
If you dont close the distance to as close as possible before shooting, thereby making as sure a shot as possible, you need to rethink your hunter ethics.

[/qu I think Clint Eastwood coined this phrase: A man gots to know his limitations. 300 yds might be a long shot for you but it might be a chip shot for some one else. you can't put a yardage on hunter ethics.

Sure I can. If you have a 300 yard shot from where you sit but could easliy slip down a finger of timber and have a 150 yard shot you owe it to the animal to get off your butt and get close.

Anyone who thinks he can place a shot as precisely at 300 yards as he can at half that is bragging to himself. I know its fun to blast hot air on these forums about the long shots you are capable of and those you have made. I have made my share too, but only when it was my only choice and when I was sure of a solid hit.

A real hunter will not shoot from long range when he could stalk closer just because he thinks its cool to kill from long range.

Dont take any of this to mean I dont advocate mucho practice at long range to develop the skill just in case its the only shot you get.

Last edited by lodgepole; 05/28/08.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "