82dodge: I have killed two Bull Elk with the 270 Winchester caliber.
I have not had the time to read the other 7 pages of this posting and I am sure it probably has been emphasized by other 270 users, but bullet placement is critical with this (and any other caliber for that matter!) when Hunting Elk.
A Bull Elk shot in the heart/lungs area (avoiding the shoulders) IS a dead Elk!
I have three friends (who are long time and excellent Elk Hunters) who use the 25/06 Remington to kill Bull Elk with!
Again a shot to the heart/lungs (avoiding shoulder bones!) and said Elk is in the bag!
On occasion these Hunters (those who use the 270 Winchester or the 25/06 Remington) will have to pass on a shot or be patient for the proper shot to be offered - this is part of smart Hunting though.
I killed a fine 6x6 Bull Elk, year before last, with my 270 Winchester (Remington 700 Sendero) using Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips. I was mainly Hunting Mule Deer at the time (on public lands) and the situation came about where I harvested the Bull with my go to Mulie rig.
I now have two Rifles to choose from when I am Hunting Elk exclusively - the first is a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum and my newest Rifle is a Tikka T-3 Lite in caliber 338 Federal!
Elk can rumble off carrying a lot of "lead" - I have seen this happen to other Hunters on several occasions, unfortunately.
With careful bullet placement the 270 Winchester with 130 gr., 140 gr. or 150 gr. bullets will bring home an Elk for you - no if's, and's or but's about it!
I personally would limit my 270 Winchester use on Bull Elk to under 400 yards and the closer one could stalk to said Bull Elk the better!
Best of luck with your new Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy