gentlemen... just wanted to drop a note (and I will have to find the info again to back myself up here), but I seem to recall a professional african hunter that swore by the 7x57Mauser As I recall, this individual put down something on the order of 160 elephants in his time, with that cartridge.Not much difference between that and a .270. My single argument, gentlemen, is the case is not the cartridge... it is the placement. My favorite rifle is a savage model 99, which I have been told is no good for even deer, and kills without fail. A killing shot is not one that is made using the latest Uber-magnum, that flattens the animal into the ground. Many hunters forget that in most cases,a Magnum impairs shots, based solely on they are flinch developers, and a man can only shoot as good as his rifle does. If you are waiting for the bone to crunch in your shoulder every time you pull the trigger, it does not matter how accurate the rifle is, YOU won't be accurate with it.
P.S.- for all the 7mm magnum followers,... I have one too... and the ballistic gain over a .270 is practically none- 200-300 FPS? Do you guys really think an animal can tell the difference if you put the bullet in the right place?

Last edited by wyckkedblue; 03/05/09.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.