Jon, you say "better optics" and appear to mean better resolution. Leupold says superior optics and goes on to describe an improvement in low light performance. Neither of you give any examples of what you mean in improvements. But apparently you are talking about image resolution, which of course means you have to focus the scope fully first, while Leupold is talking about low light performance. Related to each other, but not the same.
Leupold's VX-7 scopes already use that "Xtended Twilight Lens System." Basically what they did was enhance the transmition of the blue range light over that of the green range light for a very slightly brighter image under low light conditions. To give you an example, way back in 1993, when DEVA tested Leupolds then new fully multicoated, larger rifle scopes, they found that they transmitted 94% in daylight and 92% in twilight. The same as Zeiss at that time. The very best performance of any rifle scopes of that time.
When the VX-7 came out, somebody over there retested the best from Zeiss and the VX-7 Leupold. They both tested better than 95%, something like 95.4 vs. 95.6 %. An improvement yes. But something practical, something that most of us can see as a difference ? I seriously doubt it.
The new VX-3 uses the same lense system according to what you've posted. Wonderfull, we've all got something to argue about. Where are the resolution tests ? Afterall, that's what you are talking about. That is what I'm talking about.
We have never had any resolution tests around here that I trust. Not when some still insist that "you just focus the reticle, then you use the side focus to focus the image."
Some even say that "when you increase the magnification of the scope, that's where the euros leave Leupolds behind. At the higher magnifications, the euros, due to better glass and coatings, resolve, or show you, much more details."
Not no way. Their glass and coatings are as good as anybody's. What's different are some small tradeoffs in the details like eye box size, and how well they are adjusted. E