That's funny. I understood that the USMC used Unertl (Sp ?) 10X scopes. The Army uses the Leupold Mk.4 10X.
I'm not trying to say that the good folks back east don't know how to make long shots. I was saying, in so many words, that they assumed that they would doing that out here in the far west when they come out to hunt. The best rifle for use out here would be a heavy tactical rifle, wearing a fancy scope. One that they can not only rapidly adjust the focus, but the parallax, the magnification, the elevation and the windage etc.
With some conditioning, they will be able to carry it over ridges, down and up the other side of canyons, etc. When it comes time to make that all important shot, they will deploy the bipod on their 13 lb. wonder and amazed the local yokels who have only been doing this all of their lives with basic sporters and 4X scopes.
If they happen to hunt in a very few, wide open flat areas, for either deer or Pronghorn, they might pull it off. But for the bulk of western hunting, they aren't well equipped. As for conditioning, most of us learn that the more you insist on carrying, the less you will walk and the less you will be able to deal with whatever oportunities you get. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/25/08.