To Jeffrey and the boys! Here we go!

OK!......I happen to do some reloading for a friend of mine who owns a 338 Federal chambered in a Ruger Frontier compact (target grey) carbine with a 16.5" barrel. For short, to moderate and out to medium ranges hunting in brush, timbers, from stands etc, this cartridge and rifle is about as an ideal and excellent combo as you can get.

So far to my friend`s credit and to his rifle`s credit, he has a bull moose kill at about 185 yards, a couple of black bears and has killed numerous hogs in my presence as we hunt hogs together.

Let`s put the 338 Federal in proper context or perspective.

It does very well for what is was designed to do. It is a short to moderate to medium ranged big game cartridge. It is not a 338 Win Mag. Though I personally wouldn`t try for a moose or bull elk at 300 yards with this cartridge and opt to get closer, that does not mean it couldn`t be done.

Simply put, if one wants a more than adequate 250-300 yard and beyond elk and moose round, there are better choices than the 338 Federal.

But at the same time, rather than throwing the 338 Fed under the bus in lieu of the more powerful 338s, let`s not discard the 338 Federal and give it some credit where credit is certainly due.

It is an excellent and ideal cartridge for what it was "DESIGNED" to do, chambered in the shorter actioned and in some cases, shorter and handier rifles! It is not a long range round!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger