I recently built a 6.5-06 on a Springfield action, with a Richards stock. Nice rifle and excellent caliber. Used it up in Wyoming on Antelope, and as can be expected, the results were awesome. Didn't choose the 284 case, as I didn't want to mess around with feeding issues in that action. That said, my favorite cartridge, happens to be the 270 Winchester. Why have a 6.5 you say,when you already own a 270, cause I wanted one! What I don't have are any 7mm's, I have a 6,6.5,27,30,33,&35 cal's all on the 06 case. In the argument about bullet selection, I think that is hooey, most factory loadings only offer a couple different bullets, IE. the 270, 130 & 150 grain bullets are most offered. For the handloader, I feel bulet selection once again, is hooey, because I believe most guys are like me, and have a bunch of guns in which they shoot a particular bullet for a specific purpose, if that dosen't work, they grab a different rifle. And as to the argument of 7mm vs 270, depends on the bullet, if you choose, a 150 grain 277, will have a better BC,than a 154 7mm, although IMO, it makes no difference, except for the sake of paper argument.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryEden; 05/07/10.

NRA Endowment Life Member