For someone just learning,it's best to get a horse or mule that knows it all.That means some money, $3K is starting for a decent mule,but that is not a guarantee.

I prefer mules because as the saying goes. A horse will kill you buy accident and a mule will kill you on purpose.They are that much more smarter than a horse. Also a good mule is 10 times better than a good horse,but a bad mule is 100 times worse than a bad horse. These two statements should make you aware of what you are getting into with mules( or horses) and why that up front money pays for the future.

A person needs to start off with riding and packing with someone who knows how to do it and handle livestock.It doesn't come from books and takes several years to get to know how,what,why.

That knowledgeable person also needs to take on the task of watching out for the neophyte and keeping him/her safe.

No matter the knowledge,training and such, sooner or later you will get hurt. How much you learn and how careful you are will determine how bad that injury will be.
I havehad quite afew difernt breedings of mules and one Ihavenow is 30 yrs old cand coemout of Missouri Fox Trotter. Darn good all around mule and good disposition.Howver thear slight of frame.Next,I would go to vote for a Walker mare bred to a good jack. Problem being they usually throw tall mules and I'm vertically challenged.
Quarter horse mares will throw good mules to,but you have to watch the disposition of the mare.

I presently have a Halflinger mule at 15 hands.Too big for me, but she dose very well hunting. Her biggest problem is she is a little bit too fearful of things. She is not a town mule but will sure lead a pack string.You just have to be riding her every minute.She is stout and has no quit in her.
At the bottom of the list are thorobred and arabian mares to make mules out of and just about very warm or hot blood breed. They are just too flighty.

Diposition is the number 1 trait you have to have in a mule. Confirmation is next, looks and cloro is at the bottonm of the list. For the person, he /she needs to be able to bond with the mule and gain thier trust.Mules do not have a lot of leaderhsip qualities and need to have an owner they can trust.

Size wise an mule equal in isze to a horse will out work the horse, all other things being equal so a person can get along with a smaller mule. A taller individual will probably nee da taller mule though, the smaller mules are handier in the timber and easier to load packs on.

I stay away from llamas like the plague.They can't carry much and cause wrecks on the trail when horses are encountered, because most horse just don't get around them much.I want a pack animal that can tote 200lbs day in and day out nand an animal I can saddle up and ride,not walk. I want to do my walking when I am hunting,not getting to and from camp.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/04/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles