Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Would love to have horses haul me in and dump me off sometimes, have and will continue to use horses at times, good ones. However, I've spent 19 days in the Spanish Peaks this summer and for what I've been doing, they'd have kept me from seeing more than half of what I have. Horses cannot walk where a stong backpacker can. Never. Them are the facts.

Originally Posted by Cocadori
Good on ya SS. Well said too.

I kinda chuckle at these guys who brag on hikin' in. Albeit it ain't easy and they work for their rewards. However, when they are 50% spent I've already passed em and go on 3X's further.

A guy who taught me much of what I know about packin' and guiding. (He's in "the books" with many of the trophy's he's guided for.) said...

"why go afoot when you can have a pony under ya", "just seems stupid" and he's a mule guy!

19 days... wow I'm a bit envious. I wish I had a job/boss that understanding. Albeit I don't think I'd want to spend that much of my summer away from the family. anyway...

I thought you'd might take offense. That wasn't a dig on you or what you do. Just a fact that ponies can more often than not extend your adventure. That's a fact and relevant. What you are doing many will not have the opportunity to do, Goat hunt. So your facts aren't really relevant. Horses are a wonderful tool to have. Faster walking through all types of terrain, even in complete darkness. More efficient in getting you there, extend your hunt by saving your energy and often an get you withing mere feet of game animals with out spooking them.

Case in point.

For a guy to get here...

[Linked Image]

To see this...

[Linked Image]

You have to go up this drainage.

[Linked Image]

which is more than 12 miles form the trail-head not including the mileage up the drainage.

You're a strong backpacker. But there is no way you're gonna get to those spots faster or with more energy in reserve than a guy in the saddle. Once the terrain is to severe. You find a place tie off and continue afoot. Simple no?

If I'm not mistaken guys outfitting in BC and the NW territories use ponies quite often for Goats and Sheep? Are they doing it wrong?