I'm going to stick my $0.02 in here...

There's a good saying out there that fits; "You have to treat a mule like you should treat a horse".

They are herd animals, so just owning one really isn't an option unless you want behavior problems.

They (horses & mules) are prey animals and don't understand punishment. They understand discipline better than people do and they absolutely live "in the moment", meaning that what they did ten minutes ago is irrelevant, and they have no concept of the future.

Finding a horse that is healthy, has the conformation and the temperament to do what you are needing it to do, and doesn't cost a bloody fortune is not an easy thing to do.

There have been threads here about ranch horses, and some good references given.

Find a rancher that believes in treating his/her horses/mules with dignity and you're on your way.

Equines are different than any other critter I've ever worked with. If you get one that will bond with you, you will have a willing partner that will go where ever you want, whenever you want.

There's a lot of garbage out there about "natural horesemanship", but there is some very sound advice and training out there under that banner, too. Some of it will get you started out with a strong ground-training background and will help you AND your mount stay safe.

Shoot Rio7 a PM and see what he advises about packing. I think he's used a horse a couple of times. grin

Best wishes in your search!

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm partial to Quarter Horse stock, those stocky, cutting horse types. Like this;

[Linked Image]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell