I had a 3 yr old mule fall in some flat rock country.The rock itself was small,but down she went and jumped back up.I on the other hand, got bounced pretty hard and ended up with my left foot hung up and twisted in the stirrup fender with my spur dug in. My scabbard, with a muzzle loader was on that side and she fell directly on her side with the scabbard/rifle between her and my leg.I heard a loud snap and thought it was my leg as when I looked up, it was twisted at a funny angle.

I had dropped he reins and saw one hanging down, was able to grab it and asked her to stand. Luckily she did. My right shoulder as barely touching the ground.

My hunting partner was able to dismount his mule and come around to grab my mule and then he had to lift me to get my foot unhung. Bad day all around, and luckily my leg was not broken,but it sure hurt like hell for a week or so.

I use STI break away stirrups now.

I'm lucky she was a calm mule and did not spook as I would have surely been killed. A fellow in Grand Junction owns her now and he sends me emails bragging what a good mule he bought.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/08/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles