Originally Posted by Pat85
One of the most bomb proof horses I was around came from a bucking horse contractor of all places, a percheron cross. The guys saddle was loose and did not mention it to anybody. Anyway off he came,saddle and rider tangled under his belly. That horse stopped dead in his tracks and didn't move a muscle till someone got that guy out. I think its more the horses individual personality than their breeding that makes them a little more safer to ride than some.

Same thing happened to my wife in really rough country in Az Superstition mts. She slid sideways underneath the horse's belly, laying on the ground could not get her feet out of the stirrups. I jumped off my horse, went and grabbed her out from under the horse. The horse was froze with legs wide apart. We whirled the saddle back into position, tightened the cinch. We had to physically make the horse move, he was scared to death that he was going hurt my wife....hell of a horse to keep his composure like this in the roughest terrain you could immagine.

Wife was having fun with her girl friend and thought that I had cinched up the horse, she never checked her own cinch...she never did that agian.