I'll chime in.

There's only one way to brake a saddle in. You can't rub it or oil it broke-in unless the oil is in your jeans.
You've received some very sound advice here. I'll reiterate a few things.
What you need to learn can't be learned by reading or watching. Sure you can go to seminars or clinics and you get general idea's but until you've done it and repeated in a few hundred times you won't learn it. Sometimes it is as much about training humans as much as horses.

You've reverenced some breeds. In the end everyone will have their favorites. The truth is. Any horse/mule of any breed can be what you want it to be. It all depends on who is laying the foundation and who's putting on the time and then who puts on the miles. You can make the worst horse/mule as well if you're not doing what needs to be done.

Having a good lead/saddle horse and a good string that is safe WILL NOT happen after a few rides. It is pure hookie BS that the Missouri Mule is better than X,Y or Z horse/mule. You can't get a good one(s) without sweating leather for miles. What makes em good is the time and miles. They need to experience all the boogie monsters there are. You can show them some of them or variations of them in the round pen but first hand experience trumps all. The goods ones have this. It has NOTHING to do with the breed. However, I will say some horses/mules breeds will learn faster than others.

Can you learn to be a good packer with a good string at your age? YES with out question. It all depends on how much time you are willing to commit. I've thrown a few hitches. I've made a few sparks. But it wasn't until after packing with a couple of good packers many moons ago that I learned what really needed to be learned. I imagine you are located around the CO,UT,NM area's...??
Your Llama's can carry about 80lb's max, each, no? One horse/mule can carry twice that and better built one's even more.
If you do you r part you also can build unique relationships with your ponies/mules. I can't really explain this one as it is only done and understood by those that have.

So to answer your question:
is there a safe way to get started with horses or mules?

Yes, but you'll need to find good ones, and then spend time with them... and on them... and then both. If you can find an outfitter willing to let you watch and learn when he's taking a pack trip or better yet packing in a camp. you can learn quite a few things that you can go work on.

This thing you want to do is quite awesome. Once you've got a good grip on it and you have a few good ponies or mules, understand the dangers involved, you'll have a freedom few know. However, you need to be realistic about it. Open minded about it. Then willing to dedicate to learning it.

Nothing like a good pony and a tight hitch.
[Linked Image]