Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'd get an FJ Cruiser. That is a REAL 4WD. 4 rnrs have been neutered

I've had both the regular 4Runner (2005 Limited) a FJ Cruiser (2008) and now a 2011 4Runner Trail edition.

Daughter has the 2005 with 120,000 on it now. Outside of normal maintenance she has replaced the shocks and just recently a fluid input line in the trans which was causing shifting problems. A $500. repair. That vehicle will go most places any of us would want to take it.

Liked the FJ, but the back seat wouldn't fold down flat which was a pain with Dog kennels when you had to move them forward. Supposedly changed on recent models. Lots of blind spots and you had to be careful changing lanes. Had all the 4wd bells and whistles. Use them on a regular basis-should say hard core applications-and I doubt you will get high milage without some major repairs. It costs money to be a rock crawler. Bought it with 30,000 on the odometer and sold it with 58,000. Lost $1,500 dollars in the exchange and thought I did just fine. Regular maintenance and nothing else.

The current TE has all the 4WD capabilities of the FJ with the exception of the longer WB. However, it rides a little better on the highway. No major blind spots, more room on the inside. Will go most place the FJ would, but again go to the extreme on a regular basis and long term reasonable maintenance is gone.

There is no difference between the 4WD capabilities of an FJ and a 4Runner when snow and mud are the biggest tests you put them thru. Would buy either again.

Last edited by battue; 08/23/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler