Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Although I have some experience with wood stocked 84's, most of my experience comes from dealing with Montana's.

The four biggest culprits I've witnessed on multiple Montana's:

1. The mag box binds the action. The box is a tad long. When the screws are torqued, the action bottoms out on the mag box instead of the bedding. That causes the action to flex and move around in the stock....which brings up #2.

2. The action flexes upon recoil. The actions are small and there is very little metal in the rails under the action. The lack of tight bedding aides this...which brings up #3.

3. The slave bedding sucks, especially in the lug area. There is way too much space there. Every Montana I've handled needs some bedding in the lug. By allowing the lug to move, this prohibits consistency.

4. The front action screw bottoms out. Combine this with everything above and you have a real cluster.

Take a Dremel to the protrusions on the mag box and the front screw, bed the lug tight and you're going to improve things immensely. Adjust the trigger to perfect and make sure your front ring screw isn't contacting the threads....then find "the" load.

It's pretty simple stuff really. When you get one right, it's hard to leave it in the safe very long....

Yep, if'n you know what to look for, it sounds pretty simple, all that plus a recrown. What is truly sad is, when you mail the POS back to Kimber, with all that [bleep] wrong with the rifle, they box it right up and mail it back to you.