DubePA,

Rolling Rock Pony bottles. 7 ounces if I remember correctly.

My first taste of beer was a RR pony on my great-uncle's houseboat when I was about 10 years old. I talked him into taking me fishing with him that day. In my haste to get my rods and tackle box from my Grandpa's nearby house I didn't grab any snacks or soda. After a couple hours I was hungry and thirsty. I asked Uncle John if he had any soda or snacks. In his gruff, Camel cigarette-gravelly voice he told me there was a sack of peaches in the cooler and some Rolling Rock beer in there also. If that didn't suit me I out of luck.

Well, I was hungry and the peaches were as juicy and sweet as only fresh-picked peaches can be. I tried to subsist on ice cubes for a while but finally gave in and tried a pony bottle of Rolling Rock. It was cold, although I remember not as sweet as Moxie, my favorite soda back then. Anyway, evidently I drank more than one because I ended up falling asleep in the cabin of the houseboat and not waking up until later that evening at Grandpa's house. Come to find out, according to Grandpa, Uncle John said I drank 4 pony bottles of Rolling Rock before "hitting the sack" as it were. He carried me up the bank from the Susquehanna River and into the house and I never awoke or came to, whichever best explains my condition. Years later Uncle John told me I made it deeper into his stash of RR than his 3 sons had on their first dips into the cooler on his boat. Evidently I had passed some strange "rite of passage" in Uncle John's world.

Still order a Rolling Rock on occasion just for remembrance of a gruff, no nonsense, suck it up old man who always seemed to have room in his boat for a kid who always wanted to go fishing. Without ever explaining it to me, he taught me the responsibility of sharing the outdoors with the youngsters who thirst for that experience. There will always be room in my boat or camp for a youngster.

Sorry for the long story. I had just wanted to mention the intro to Rolling Rock but the story just seemed to unfold in my mind as I typed. I think I'm officially an "Old Fart" now.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.