When I was young there were no deer to be hunted in Georgia. My dad and I small game hunted. Mainly squirrel with a .22 rifle. We got the occasional rabbit.
Deer were re-established in the 1960's and I got my first taste of deer hunting in 1974 when my now deceased friend invited me to join his deer lease hunting club in Green County, Georgia. November 15,1974 at the manly age of 33 I killed my first deer and got just completely immersed into the sport. Then you got two legal bucks limit and January first was the last day of the season and only on that day were doe legal to shoot if you had not gotten two bucks. Two deer per year limit.I also got a doe that year on January 1st. That day was also "family day" when the spouses and children were invited to hunt with you.
The club was comprised of some 600 acres, had 40 members and the culmination of the year was a dinner in late January at which time the largest buck was recognized with a trophy. I won that honor in 1977 with a large eight pointer.
I truly enjoyed the deer camp and made some long lasting friends there in the ten years I belonged to it.
There were some truly memorable times in all aspects. The Kenny Rogers movie "Coward of the county" was filed partially on club land and an adjoining land owner got a bit part in the movie and became good friends with Kenny Rogers who had a farm nearby.
We had visitors at the campfire one night and one of them turned out to be Kenny Rogers himself. He was a very nice person as I remember.
My friend moved out west and I eventually left the club in 1985.
I have belonged to several other leases since then but that was my introduction to deer clubs and deer hunting. I have very very fond memories of my experiences there. I regret not being exposed to this experience as a youngster.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 04/20/14.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.