Another entry from our book: Dec. 7th-12th, 1982.

My self, Howard and Dennis McQ. up for remainder of gun season. I took a spike on Tues. 4:30 p.m. in Finley Hollow. (my 1st) Didn't get snow until Friday night. Not too many deer. Cut some firewood and roughed out a trail into back of lot to get out some more wood. Pulled out Sunday 10:00 a.m.
J. Grubb

Sadly, this was Dad's last trip to camp. He died the next spring. I was very lucky to get to share that last hunt with him. He was very proud of me for taking that 1st deer. 10 years of missed shots and missed opportunities led up to that moment, and it was by far the best single event we shared together. Every fall, as I get ready to hunt, I can't help but think back to how much this meant to Dad. He is still heavily missed. His spot up above camp where he spent so many hours on stand, and shot so many deer over the years is hallowed ground. I haven't been up there in well over 15 years. It just hurts too much to return. At one time, there were 27 hash marks on the old beech beech tree dad used to sit against up there. Two of those I had added after Dad passed, but I just can't go there any more. The old hillbilly that keeps an eye on our camp for us goes up there, and has added several hash marks of his own, as well as a few others from other hunters that know a good spot when they see it. When ever I hear a shot from over that way, about a quarter mile from where I often hunt, I know the old man must be up there smiling.

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/12/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla