Turkeys back then were rare and to get one was an event. Those who consistently tagged one were local legends. Days of homemade box calls, wing bone calls, and a few slates. The Birds were also much more skittish than most of the ones we hunt today. They just didn't tolerate people all that much and where exclusively Birds of the Big Wood.

A spring season was yet to arrive and most more or less stumbled onto a Turkey.
The real Turkey hunters walked the fall woods, busted a flock and Kee-keed one back in.

If someone would have shot one with a traditional bow it probably would have been front page of the local paper.

Nobody thought about putting a scope sight on a shotgun. Pop-up blinds had yet to be thought of. Camo was your brown pants and jacket.

And in regards to the previous post, I was BSing. Herds of 80 plus were not uncommon. I just didn't want you to think I was BSing. A kid could get a lot of practice on placing the sights on a lot of Deer and calming themselves down for the shot. Just in case one was the spike or small four point. Although every year some giants made their last mistake up in that country and people would travel to see it.

Good times.

Last edited by battue; 04/21/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler